Sunday, April 10, 2005

It just works...

I keep underestimating just how good Linux actually is. Being of a doubtful nature, and always expecting the worst, I thought that getting Linux to recognize my digital camera would be a somewhat tricky task. I searched high and low on the internet for how I might achieve this. I tried special apps for the job, but they did not support my particualr camera. It was whilst I wass looking at the ins and outs of how to mount external devices other than floppy and cd-rom drives that I noticed something. On my desktop was an icon I had never seen before, and underneath it was written the word "removable". Upon opening this I discovered, to my joy that Linux had reognised my camera, and mounted it ready for me to copy the photos onto my hard drive. On windows I had to go through a lengthy installation procedure with drivers and what-not for me to be able to do that! And they say Linux is more difficult than Windows? I won't hear anything of the sort.

Next all I have to do is to make sure my scanner and printer works under Linux, and then I will have no reason not to change to it permanantly.

No comments: